|Found this image on this blog and couldn't resist!|
Well, after tasting a little of the dough, I knew something was off. It was not nearly sweet enough. When the first batch came out of the oven, it was confirmed. Gross. One batch of dough in the trash. I double, triple checked that I followed the ingredients and I HAD!
When I came home I had an idea where I had went wrong and quick checked the molasses bottle. Ugh...in small letters on the back of the bottle under ingredients it read: Blackstrap molasses. Not regular molasses. Too dense, not sweet enough. And it didn't say it on the front of the bottle! There was no indication that they weren't normal baking molasses. No wonder the dough was gross.
Here's the kicker - I already had blackstrap molasses in the house for bread baking, but knew I needed regular molasses for the cookies. We went to the store specifically to pick some up. Whoops.
Oh well, at least the mystery is solved.
Merry Christmas, Hanukkah, Yule, Kwanzaa, New Years from our kitchen to yours!