Wednesday, December 2, 2009

The King of Brownies


I love brownies. No, wait. i LOVE brownies. We made and ate lots of brownies in college. Mostly, however, from a box. As an adult though, I keep cocoa powder in my house and hence am capable of the real thing. And what's more real than using the King Arthur Flour recipe?


The coolest thing about this recipe is the process of melting the sugar into the butter and then reheating the mixture before adding it to the dry ingredients. The process creates the shiny sugar look on the top of the brownies I so often see in food mags or in blogs. I did not use the espresso powder, and it was fabulous without it - but I'm sure with it would be awesome.


I only used half the recipe, using an 8 x 8 pan instead of an 9 x 13. Below I'll post the full 9 x 13 pan recipe.


Fudge Brownies
(King Arthur Flour recipe)

1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
2 1/4 cups sugar
4 large eggs
1 1/4 cups Dutch-process cocoa
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon espresso powder, optional
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350F, and grease your pan.

In a saucepan over low heat, melt the butter and then removing from the pan from heat, add the sugar. Stir to combine. When fully combined, return the pan to the heat till mixture is shiny as your stir - before bubbling or boiling.

In a large bowl, add the eggs and beat with cocoa, salt, baking powder, espresso (if adding), and vanilla.

When combined, add the butter/sugar mixture.

Add the flour and chocolate chips and stir to combine. Add to pan and spread with a knife or spatula.

Bake for 30 minutes. Let cool before slicing - or just dive right in, that's what I do :)

1 comment:

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

King Arthur strikes again. When I was last in the States I tried to find some to bring it home without going to every store in the area. In WalMart all they had was whole wheat..so sad.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...