Thursday, December 25, 2008

Long Overdue!

I am not going to give excuses. Randi and I have been painfully negligent of this blog for the past million months - mostly me I suppose as it is registered in my name...But on this Christmas morning, I decided to use the new year (a little early) to get back in the game! This is the first of three recipes I will post this morning. So here goes:

My future mother in law gave me a subscription to Real Simple magazine for my birthday (thanks Dorry!) and they always have spectacular and simple (hence real SIMPLE I suppose) recipes. The thing I love about their recipes is that although the ingredient combinations are sometimes a little odd, the flavors are spot on! This recipe calls for Savoy cabbage, which I'd never used before. If you are like me, I have a love-hate relationship with cabbage. However, this cabbage will change your mind. When I bought it, the card next to it read "Great to cook with!" This cabbage is not bitter like green or purple cabbage and has a really pleasant flavor. It cooks down really nicely, but is great raw in salads too.

I also experimented making my own pasta for this dish. I had never done it before, and sans pasta machine it was still pretty easy (I will definitely get a pasta maker though, as it is a little hard to roll out the dough). Unfortunately, I can't find the exact recipe I used, but don't be afraid, you should give it a try!

Anyway, this was quick, easy and delicious - a total winner. I am also submitting it to Presto Pasta Nights of course - to start off 2009 right, the creator of PPN, Ruth, will be doing the roundup this week. I will be making it again for sure:

Pappardelle with Cabbage, Prosciutto and Sage
serves 4
8 ounces pappardelle or some other wide pasta
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, sliced
Kosher salt and black pepper
1/2 head Savoy cabbage -- quartered, cored, and sliced (8 cups)
1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
1/4 pound sliced prosciutto, cut into strips
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage

Cook the pasta according to the package directions.

Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 4 to 6 minutes.

Add the cabbage and broth and cook, stirring occasionally, until the cabbage begins to wilt, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the prosciutto, butter, and sage and cook until the butter has melted. Serve over the pasta.


3 comments:

Ruth Daniels said...

Glad to see you back in the blogosphere and looking forward to many pasta dishes in 2009 to share with Presto Pasta Nights. This one is certainly a perect start!

tigerfish said...

looks quite Asian-inspired.

Anonymous said...

I saw you at Pasta Presto nights - looks great! I will have to try.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...