Thursday, December 25, 2008

How Sweet It Is - Salmon and Sweet Potato Frittata

Lately I have been on a big salmon kick. Apparently, you are supposed to eat two servings of Omega-3 rich fish per week (hard to do admittedly but a worthy goal) and I got tired of the usual salmon recipes, so I've been experimenting. Last week I made a Roasted Salmon with Fennel and Onions (which was totally awesome and I will post on when I make it again for Andrew), but this week I made a Salmon and Sweet Potato Frittata - mostly because I love sweet potatoes and had a few in the fridge.

Sweet potatoes are a funny vegetable, you either love or hate them. I love them. LOVE THEM. We grew up eating baked sweet potatoes on a regular basis and I make them whenever I get the chance. People douse them with sugar and butter to make them more desert like, which I don't totally understand, because they are so yummy (and very good for you, lots of beta carotene and fiber).

This one-pot meal was another hit from Real Simple (I'm on a kick, what can I say). It made great leftovers. I cut the cheese a little to make it a little healthier.

Salmon and Sweet-Potato Frittata
serves 4

2 tablespoons olive oil
2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and grated (3 cups)
1 small onion, chopped (1 cup)
1 pound skinless salmon fillet, diced
6 eggs
1/4 cup milk
2 cups Swiss cheese, diced (8 ounces)
1/4 cup fresh tarragon leaves
1 teaspoon kosher salt
Freshly ground pepper


Heat oven to 375° F. In a deep 8- to 10-inch ovenproof skillet, heat the oil over moderately high heat. Add the sweet potatoes and onion and cook, stirring, until tender, about 5 minutes. Add salmon and cook 5 minutes for the salmon or until cooked through. Remove the skillet from heat.

Whisk together the eggs, milk, cheese, tarragon, salt, and a few grinds of pepper and add to the skillet. Stir. Bake in the upper third of the oven for 20 minutes or until set. Transfer the frittata to a plate; cut into wedges.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

ooh, sweet potato and salmon? that sounds intriguing enough to try :)

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

May love and laughter light your days,
and warm your heart and home.
May good and faithful friends be yours,
wherever you may roam.
May peace and plenty bless your world
with joy that long endures.
May all life's passing seasons bring
the best to you and yours!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...