Monday, June 20, 2011

Thai Red Curry

I was noticing its been over a year since I last posted and it seemed a good time to remedy that.

Curry is fairly simple, especially thai curry. And it's a great way to clean out your fridge. With the massive amount of veggies we've been getting from our CSA share, along with some carrots and potatoes that needed to get eaten, I thought I'd make a hearty veggie-protein and vegetable filled curry.



As much as I love sauteing my greens with a little garlic and ginger, I've been eating sauteed greens pretty much every day and figured I should expand my palate some.

In addition to the potato and carrots, I added bok choy from a friend's garden and left over mustard greens from last week's share. I also put a cup of chick peas and 1/3 cup of lentils. When it was finished, I served it over some quinoa for some extra fiber and protein.

Feel free to use whatever veggies you want in the curry and try serving it over rice, quinoa or any asian-type noodle.


Thai Red Curry
1-2 Tbs red curry paste (adjust to your liking)
1 14oz can of coconut milk
1-2 cloves garlic
1 1-inch knob of ginger, peeled and grated
1 large red (or other thin-skinned type) potato
2-3 carrots
1/3 cup lentils
1 cup chick peas, drained and rinsed
1-2 cups of green of your choice (I used chopped up bok choy and mustard greens)
1 Tbs fish sauce
1 Tbs brown sugar
lime or rice vinegar
cilantro

WITHOUT SHAKING, open the can of coconut milk. Take the coconut "cream" layer off the top and put into a sauce pan along with red curry paste. Heat over medium heat and stir to combine.

Let coconut cream and curry paste come together till they thicken up and become more paste-like. Lower heat some and then add garlic and ginger (and a half onion if you want - I didn't have one in the house).

When garlic and ginger become fragrant, add rest of coconut milk, along with 1 cup of water. Add diced potatoes and carrots to the pot. Then add in lentil and chick peas.

Turn up the heat till pot boils and then reduce to a simmer. Put the lid on, but leave partially open. Let simmer for 30-40 minutes or until lentil and potatoes are soft.

Add fish sauce, brown sugar and squeeze of a lime or a splash of rice vinegar. Taste and adjust to your liking.

Turn off heat and then add greens and cilantro. Let residual heat from curry to lightly cook the green.

Serve with rice, quinoa or noodles.

4 comments:

Georgia said...

Yay a Randi post!! Looks great. I love to eat curry, but it isn't something that I automatically think of making. I guess I need some red or green curry paste. Thanks for sharing :)

Kathy said...

hello

Good Day, i just want you to know that i really enjoy looking arround in your website
and thanks for sharing imformation

-kathy

Healthandwellnessconsultants.com

vanzare masini said...

Interesting idea and recipe, it looks so good and i`m sure it is delicious, so i will give it a try. Thanks a lot for sharing with us.

john said...

Hey I just made my girlfriend cook me this dish and I loved it. Thanks for posting this

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...