Friday, April 10, 2009

Comfort Food from Childhood - Potato Puffs

Growing up, whenever we had any leftover mashed potatoes my mom would make potato puffs the next day. I'm not sure if there was ever an official recipe or it was just something she threw together....either way I was always very excited when she made them. Who doesn't love fried potato products??? Not this girl. Trust me, once you make these once, they will become a staple. They are very easy, not too time consuming and make excellent leftovers. I just had two cold for a little snack :)

These little bundles of potatoey goodness are my mom's version of a potato pancake. As it is the Passover season, I thought it would be a fitting solute to my quasi-Jewish heritage to cook them. Andrew and I made roasted-red pepper mashed potatoes (yum!) the other night and I purposefully made extra with these in mind. I didn't get my mom's recipe prior to cooking them, I just went by feel. As a consequence, they aren't as fluffy as hers were. Still delicious though! Below is the actual recipe, but these can't really be messed up....

Potato Puffs
per one cup of mashed potatoes

1 cup mashed potatoes
1 cup flour
1 egg
1 tbsp baking powder
1/4 cup of milk
a dash of salt and pepper
oil to fry (I suggest EVOO)

Whisk all the ingredients together until light and fluffy. In the meantime, heat about 1/2 inch of oil on medium high. When the oil is ready, drop in dollops of the mixture. When the edges start looking cooked through flip them. The end result should be nice and golden brown.

The frying process should be done by feel, much like a pancake.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...