Saturday, January 26, 2008

Sour Cream-a-licious

Sometimes when I get an idea in my head, I just can't kick it till I do something about it. Especially when it comes to food. And especially when it comes to baking. I'll frequently get ideas for something sweet at 10 or 11pm and feel like I absolutely must make it. I know I'm not the only one out there :P


Anyway, Georgia and I had been debating using the sour cream a recipe called for, or just some plain yogurt, as the yogurt would be cheaper and could be bought in a smaller quantity. Hell no, I said, lets get the sour cream and I'll use the rest in a sour cream cake sometime this week!

Well, that very night after dinner, half way through a movie we were watching, I sprung up to make the sour cream cake. I'm a moron and in my over-zealous baking I didn't grease the pan, so you can guess what happened to the bottom part of the cake. I know that picture looks good, but there's actually like half the cake stuck to the pan that you're not seeing :) Despite this, this turned out moist and yummy and was gone close to 24 hours after I made it.

Ashkenazic Sour Cream Coffee Cake (adapted from the World of Jewish Desserts)

Streusel Topping:

1/2 cup granulated or brown sugar, or 1/4 cup each
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg or cloves
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter or margarine, softened
1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts or pecans, grated coconut, golden raisins, or chocolate chips, or 1 cup any combination (I used whatever walnuts we had lying around the house - use what your little heart desires)

Batter:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter or margarine, softened
1 cup granulated or brown sugar or 1/2 cup each
4 large egg yolks, or 3 large eggs
1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream (I used a little extra here for moistness, and cause I love sour cream)
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Glaze:
1 cup confectioners' sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla or almond extract
1 to 2 tablespoons milk or water

1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (325°F if using a glass pan). Grease one 9-inch square pan,9-inch Bundt or tube pan, or 9-inch springform pan. Line with parchment or waxed paper, grease again, and dust with flour. (You'll actually do this whole step if you're smart)

2. To make the streusel: Combine the sugar, flour, cinnamon, salt, and nutmeg if using. Cut in the butter to resemble coarse crumbs. If desired, stir in the nuts.

3. To make the batter: Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a large bowl, beat the butter until smooth, about 1 minute. Gradually add the sugar and beat until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes. Beat in the egg yolks, one at a time. Blend in the sour cream, vanilla, and zest if using. Stir in the flour mixture.

4. Spread half of the batter in the prepared pan. Sprinkle with half of the streusel. Carefully cover with the remaining batter and sprinkle with the remaining streusel.

5. Bake unitl the cake is golden and pulls away from the sides of the pan, about 50-60 minutes. Set on a rack and let cool in the pan for at least 15 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.

6. To make the glaze if using: Combine all the glaze ingredients, stirring until smooth and of pouring consistency. Drizzle over the cake and let stand until set.

I definitely suggest making this, even just for a weeknight treat. Well, what are you waiting for!?! I gave you an idea, now make it!

1 comment:

Peter M said...

Girls, it looks very moist and the word Streusel sends me to the moon.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...