Thursday, August 23, 2007

French Toast!

Whenever I'm home my mom takes every possible opportunity to cook for me (while I like to turn the tables). A few months back mom "borrowed" (read stole, but it's cool b/c I had two copies) my Vegan With A Vengeance cookbook--it's not unusual when I come home to see Momma curled up in a corner paging through this glorious book.

I got the "ok" to start adding wheat back into my diet right at the same time that Mom just happened to have a loaf of bread that needed to be used. Solution: French Toast.

We followed Isa Chandra's VwV recipe pretty closely but used sliced bread instead of french (we toasted it first but found that it also works well to let the bread stay as is). Isa also recommends a half cup of nondairy milk plus one half cup of Silk creamer. As I still have to avoid soy we opted for one full cup of rice milk.

Verdict? Delicious! My dad didn't even notice he was eating "nontraditional" french toast. Plus the chickpea/fava flour adds a good healthy dose of protein to the mix.

I don't have a digital camera at home, but this other picture of "fronch toast" looks pretty much like ours:



I (and Momma, and Dad) highly recommend this breakfast recipe--it's super quick, easy, and, ::wink wink:: cholesterol free so it's a great alternative to regular french toast (coated with butter and eggs).

Recipe follows--happy eating!

6-8 slices white or wheat bread toasted
1 cup rice milk
sprinkle of cinnamon
1/4 cup fava and garbanzo flour (this is what we bought but chickpea flour is the same)
2 tablespoons corn starch

Mix the flour and corn starch together (we used a whisk). Pour in the rice milk and keep stirring (it's ok to be a little lumpy).

Heat up a medium sized pan with a few tablespoons of canola oil (Mom really wanted to use soy margarine but I vetoed the idea).

Dip and coat your bread slices in the flour mixture then toss in the pan. Sprinkle with cinnamon. You'll probably want to give each side about two minutes before flipping, and voila! You're done.

1 comment:

Randi said...

mmm this sounds awesome. I'm always curious about other types of flour.. I'll check out fava next time i'm in whole foods. yay!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...