Thursday, May 31, 2007

Randi's Favorite Whatever-fruit-you-want Cobbler

Ah ha! As it turns out, not having pictures of my food is a lame excuse for not posting recipes and results. Its just not fair to you guys, faithful readers. My lonely picture is sitting to the right with no posts to represent it so, here we go.

While my boyfriend mutters around the apartment craving chocolate after dinner, much like a PMSing woman, I find myself craving the more carbohydrate based sweets. People who know me know that I spend time on the internet simply looking at pictures of cakes, muffins, scones and cinnamon buns. About a month ago I stumbled upon recipes for any kind of cobbler imaginable - most of them pretty easy, but one in particular has stood out and though is meant for peaches, I've modified it plenty of times and my favorite thing to use is strawberries. Despite my boyfriend's cries for chocolate, I inevitably come home the night after its made to find nearly the whole thing eaten.

Gooey Strawberry Cobbler

Filling:
- 1 large (either the large large or medium size is ok, depends on perference) container of strawberries (i like driscoll organics)
- 2 tbs cinnamon
- juice of half a lemon
- 1/4 cup sugar

Batter:
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup milk

Preheat oven to 350. Start by making the filling - cut the tops off the strawberries and cut then into quarters. Place strawberries into a medium size bowl. Add sugar, lemon juice, and cinnamon. Stir to coat strawberries and leave to sit. The filling will juice out a bit.

Then in a larger bowl, combine flour, sugar and baking powder and stir to mix evenly. Then add milk and stir till barely lumpy.

Use either an 8 x 8 (or 9 x 9) or 13 x 9 (depending on if you want a thin later of batter or thicker - I prefer the 8 x 8 baking pan. Pour (or melt) a couple tablespoons of melted butter into pan, coating the bottom.

Then pour the batter into the bottom and DO NOT STIR. Then spoon strawberries, and drippings, evenly over the top of the batter. Bake for about 45 minutes.. sides and parts of top will brown and batter will look solid. Let cool for about 10-15 and then eat!

2 comments:

Georgia said...

It is true, this is delicious - We made it my house one time with frozen raspberries and peaches. Although, the rasberries totally disintegrated due to their pre-frozen nature, it was still very good!! As I hate real baking, I love all these simple and super tasty "baking" recipes!!

AlliXT said...

driscoll organics ::high five:: I too am a fan

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...